Late last night, after a second glass of martini, I have found myself staring at my computer screen with nothing to do. I was bored, and so, I clicked on an online poker banner.
I always thought that online poker is a good way to lose money. It turns out that it's a great way to lose money!
I opened a free account at pokerstars.com. Had a few runs of play money (as opposed to real money) poker. Went good! Man, was I hot. I tripled my chips, and it only took me about half an hour.
So I was thinking, 200% profits in half an hour. That's a good investment, ain't it? That's when I drew my credit card, clicked on "cashier" and bought a hundred bucks, that's 100$ (I wish I could lose a "0", but I don't want to lie to my faithful readers) of real money chips.
At first I got lucky, I'll give you that. I had a full-house, I went heavily in and took back some nice profits.
Tragically, what seemed at first as beginner's luck quickly became beginner's disaster. Encouraged by my intial success, I went all in in my next hand. I was missing a card to complete a flush, and I thought, what the heck – the odds are not that bad. Well, bad or not, that card didn't came. Congratulations, whomever took my dough from me.
I figured that my losses are simply the result of my reckless game, going all in like that. Again, I wish it weren't so but I bought 100$ more, this time promising myself that I will go easy on it.
And that is just what happened: This time, it took me four hours, not two minutes, to lose the 100$.
So, final check: 200$ lost in four hours and two minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment